Following a defensive victory against Monroe College to secure the 2017 Northeast Football Conference title, ASA gained its first national ranking since week seven of the 2015 season. ASA was ranked 17th in the nation at the time. The ranking comes after ASA won four straight games, including a victory over #10 ranked Lackawanna.
The highest ranking in program history dates back to 2012 where ASA held the third overall ranking in the country one week prior to the end of the season.
Via the NEFC -
The poll appearances mean a NEFC team has been ranked in the last 186 NJCAA polls. The streak dates to Oct. 21, 2003. A NEFC team has been ranked 360 times since the start of the 2002 season.
Morgan, 6-foot, 185-pound redshirt freshman wide receiver from Washington, D.C., made four receptions for 44 yards and scored a touchdown. His 16-yard scoring reception capped a four-play, 28-yard drive in the third quarter. The touchdown catch also put him in the NEFC's single-season top 10 for touchdown receptions.
Stevens-McKenzie, a 6-foot-3, 230-pound sophomore defensive end from Cleveland, recorded 14 tackles (eight solo) for the Avengers. He also made four tackles for loss, including 2.5 quarterback sacks.
Gridley, a 6-foot-2, 190-pound sophomore punter from Cartersville, Georgia, made six punts for an average of 32.13 yards per kick. He placed two punts inside the Mustangs' 20-yard line.
The honorees will now be considered for NJCAA national players of the week.
ASA Brooklyn 2017 Football Accolades
- Defeated #10 ranked team in the country (Lackawanna Falcons) on October 7th
- Received votes 3 straight weeks
- Defense leads the nation in fewest yards allowed per game
- Clinched Northeast Football Conference title after defeating #10 Lackawanna and Monroe College (Monroe currently also receiving votes)
- Ranked 11th in the nation in scoring, 8th in points-per-game, 9th in passing yards, 6th in passing yards per game & 2nd in yards per attempt
- Had 701 total offensive yards against Erie Community College
- 4th in the nation in sacks
- 5th in the nation in passing touchdowns
- Ranked 8th in the nation in red zone efficiency with 18 scores on 27 attempts
- Quarterback Stone Labanowitz ranks 7th in the nation in Y/G with 253.0 with the highest completion percentage in the nation (1771 passing yards through seven games)
- Edward Morgan ranked #3 in the nation with 9 receiving touchdowns
- Rush yards of over 100 yards in all but one game
- Passed for over 300 yards three times
- Seven sacks in four games
- Won four consecutive games against JUCO teams
- Over 50 tackles in six out of seven games
UP NEXT: The Avengers travel to neutral site UMASS Amherst to face off with Milford Academy (9-1).